The die cutting machines are used to cut shapes, letters and designs depending on the matrix you use and are essential for anyone into scrapbooking and crafting in general. We’ve gathered the most popular models into a list in order to help you pick the one that suits you best so let’s have a look at the alternatives:
- The Cricut Explore Air 2 is your personal DIY cutting machine. Make custom vinyl stickers, personalized home decor, unique greeting cards, custom designed apparel, and more!
- Upload your own images for free or choose from Cricut's vast library of pre-made designs and projects.
- Design anywhere. Free access to Cricut's simple design software, Design Space. Create and design from your computer, tablet or mobile phone using the Cricut Design App for iOS and Android devices.
- Make the perfect cut every time. The Smart Set Dial ensures that your machine cuts at the correct depth and pressure for any type of material.
- Cuts 100+ materials. Cricut offers a wide range of materials specifically designed and tested for use with the Cricut machine including basic and specialty Vinyl colors, Iron-on Vinyls, Cardstock, Faux Leather, Adhesive Foils, Specialty Paper, Poster Board and more!
- Embedded Bluetooth, for wireless cutting. German carbide premium blade
- Customer service: call for assistance: 877-727-4288
- Smart Set® dial for easy material settings
- NEWEST model Big Shot machine with Extended Multipurpose Platform and White & Gray color scheme
- Portable shape-cutting and embossing roller-style machine accommodates a wide range of crafting materials from paper to fabric
- Create your own one-of-a-kind cards, invitations, scrapbook pages, home decor, fashion, altered art, quilting and much more
- Included with the Big Shot are a pair of Standard Cutting Pads and the adjustable Extended Multipurpose Platform
- Works with almost the entire Sizzix product library, as well as other die-cutting and embossing tools; Measures 14-1/4" x 12-3/8" x 6-5/8"
- Sleek White and Gray color scheme
- Offers plenty of stylish appeal with the same versatility of working with the entire Sizzix product library (with the exception of Bigz plus and Bigz Pro dies)
- Create your own one-of-a-kind cards, invitations, scrapbook pages, home decor, Fashion, altered art, quilting and much more
- Machine measures approximately 14 1/4x 12 3/8x 6 5/8
- Diagrams on the extended multipurpose platform offer easy guidelines about how to make the perfect Sizzix sandwich
- A portable, affordable and adorable crafting system
- Machine dimensions: 7 3/4x 4 3/4x 3 1/2
- Starter kit also includes 6 framelits dies, 2 thinlits dies, 2 small textured impressions embossing folders and 7 stamps to get you started crafting right out of the box
- Features a special vacuum seal that holds it securely in place onto any smooth work surface, which makes it perfect for crafting on the go
- Perfect for scrapbooking, card making, home decor and party, event and wedding planning
- Bonus! includes one A2 embossing folder and two metal dies
- One 6x8 a plate and two 6x8 b plates included
- One 6x8 rubber embossing mat included. Features a collapsible handle and compact fold-n-store profile
- Cuts and embosses a variety of materials including tissue paper, foils, acetate ribbon, and thin leather
- Works with other leading embossing folders and cutting dies
- The Gemini is fast and quiet and has a sleek, low-profile design
- It enables edge-to-edge cutting of US letter ADN A4 materials
- Large platform size (9"x12.5") so you can cut multiple dies at the same time
- Compatible with most dies and embossing folders
- Easy to use with pause, resume and reverse buttons on the machine
- Cuts a variety of material including vinyl, paper, cardstock, fabric, and other materials up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
- Use the powerful Silhouette Studio design software to create your projects. Features Bluetooth® technology for wireless cutting or plugs into your home computer.
- Features a dual-carriage for multi-tool use and a higher 2 mm clearance to cut thicker materials. Is compatible with Print & Cut and PixScan technology.
- Is the only Silhouette compatible with the self-adjusting AutoBlade.
- Includes Silhouette CAMEO cutting machine, Silhouette Studio software, power cable and USB cable, 12-Inch Cutting Mat, AutoBlade cutting blade
- Powered by the same versa cut technology used in Platinum, the new Platinum 6 offers the same strength, pressure and durability
- Effortlessly cuts up to eight layers of most materials in a single pass
- It can blaze through even the heaviest of materials from leather, to wool, to craft metal, to Balsa Wood
- The sleek, Modern design of the Platinum 6 machine features a collapsible handle and fold-up sides for compact storage
- Sold with a pair of clear cutting plates, standard platform, embossing plate and embossing mat
- 4.85" LCD touch screen display, 30% larger than before!
- Wireless Network Ready, PC Connectivity, or Stand-Alone - Over 600 designs and 7 built-in fonts
- 300 DPI Built-in Scanner - Create your own cut files. Machine memory - 1MB or 60 pockets
- Enhanced Scanning - RGB color recognition. 631 designs and 7 built-in fonts
- ScanNCutCanvas - Free cloud-based web application for editing and designing cut data.New project gallery provides step by step instructions and downloadable cut files to create unique projects. Visit ScannCutcanvas.Brother.com
- Refer User Guide PDF attached below in Technical Specification
- Gemini jr. comes with everything you'll need to get started right away
- Platform size of 6"x9" with edge to edge cutting so you can cut multiple dies at one time
- Higher pressure than other machines allows for better cutting on elaborate designs
- Works with heavyweight cardstock, vinyl, foil, leather, multiple layers of fabric and more
- Compatible with most thin metal dies and embossing folders
These cutting machines are ideal for stamping and texturing on different materials. They have a compact design which makes the lightweight and portable to suit multiple uses. Make sure you pick a compact one especially if you find yourself traveling a lot with a machine are a large model might be too cumbersome to carry.
A die cutting machine can cut out letters, shapes, numbers and other custom made designs. They are ideal for party decorations, scrapbooking and also great for school room activities. You can find a wide variety of designs on the internet in order to make your first steps. If you are willing to invest a little more time you can even find plenty of that will introduce you to die cutting machines and designs.
Most of the machines will be able to handle paper, felt, foam, rubber, vinyl, magnet paper, sticker paper, and chipboard to name a few. Depending on your style and needs pick die cut machine that is suitable for the materials you plan to use in your designs. Die cut machines can be either manual or electronic, with the manual ones being the most budget-friendly option. The manual models are quite portable which makes them very popular since they don’t need a power outlet to be used.
Some machines feature wireless connectivity via Bluetooth, so if you plan to connect the devices with your smartphone or laptop make sure you pick one that will let you download and cut premade designs. There are plenty of 3rd party programs which enable the user to create different designs that can import to the die cut machines.
It is advisable to invest a little more to get a die cutting machine that can cut through a variety of materials ranging from paper and thin vinyl to thick metal so you can have a machine that will not hold you back with your designs.
Most cheap models will be able to cut up to 6inches in width which may be fine for a variety of applications. However, if your budget allows for it you can have a look for larger machines that can cut up to 12 inches as they will be more versatile if you want to work with fabric or if you are into scrapbooking.
Pick a unit from a reputable brand that comes with a long warranty as it may be too expensive to repair one out of warranty. A well-designed one will be durable enough to last for many years to come letting you personalize whatever you have in mind.