A dartboard is a great way to introduce some friendly competition into your next party or get-together. It can be used as a fun addition to your home decor, too! From the classic bristle dartboards to electronic scoring, there are many styles of dartboards available depending on how much you want to spend. We’ve researched all the dartboards on the market, and we’ll help you find the best one for your needs.
How Much Do the Different Types of Dartboards Cost?
Price can vary considerably depending on what you are looking for in a dartboard, so there’s no one answer to this question. So let’s dive into each category.
Dartboards With Cabinets
These cabinets are for people looking to get a more “classy” set-up. They come in various shapes and styles, from the traditional bristle board to electronic scoring, so you can find one that fits your needs. If you are looking for a classy addition to your games room, but don’t want to spend too much, cabinets can do the trick. Plus, you’ll never lose a dart again!
- They will protect your dartboard when not in use.
- You have plenty of space to hold a dry-erase scoreboard or even an electronic one.
- You can find cabinets that will allow you to store your darts and accessories, all in one place.
- Most of the cabinets don’t only have a WOW factor, but they are also made of high-quality materials.
- Some models also feature a lighting setup, a nice touch that can save you the trouble of installing extra LEDs.
- Cabinets look elegant and can blend nicely in every room, not only a man-cave.
- They can be expensive, but there are plenty of mid-range options available.
- Many cabinets are heavy, so shipping costs will be high.
- They may require assembly
How Much Do Dartboards With Cabinets Cost?
The downside is that this type of board doesn’t come cheap.
You can find cabinets without a dartboard, in case you already have one, starting around $50, while the more elegant options might be around the $150 price point.
For a complete set, including the dartboard, you can expect to pay around $150 for the cheapest option that is worth considering. If you are willing to invest a little more, you can find some awesome options under $300 online, some even with an electronic scoreboard.
These standing dartboards are a great choice for those who don’t have extra storage space. You get the benefits of a cabinet, plus even more storage space than you’ll find with a standard cabinet. They are a great way to hide power cords and achieve a cleaner look. You can easily add a custom marquee and graphics and make it the centerpiece of your games room.
- A free-standing dartboard makes an excellent gift for any dart player in your life.
- A free-standing dartboard will be more stable than a wall-mounted board.
- It’s never been easier to set up your board to play with friends.
- You get more storage space for your darts, accessories, and dry-erase scoreboard.
- Lots of customization options are available with free-standing dartboards.
- Some are made of wood, so they don’t have to be an eyesore in your home.
- The main drawback is that a free-standing dartboard is usually rather expensive.
- it’s important to measure the area where you’ll be setting up your dartboard and make sure it would fit.
- they can be heavy and bulky, which can make transporting them difficult.
- they can also take up a lot of room in your home.
- some assembly may be required.
- this type of dartboard has fewer options to choose from on the market
How Much Do Free-Standing Dartboards Cost?
You can find some options around the $300, a great investment that will get you up and running in no time. If you are looking for solid wood construction, you’ll have to expect a price tag of around $600. If you add a custom marquee and graphics, you can easily spend more than $1000, which is why you’ll want to make sure this is the type of board for you before buying.
If you can’t afford a cabinet or a free-standing board, your best option is buying a bristle dartboard. Durable and fairly inexpensive, they are probably the best option for most people.
- bristle boards are very durable and won’t break down after only a few uses.
- very affordable and probably the best investment for your money.
- they self-heal, so no more holes
- perfect match for steel-tipped darts
- easy to replace if needed
- you can transport them with ease
- not suitable for a humid environment
- a little pricier than other dartboards
How Much Do Bristle Boards Cost?
Bristle dartboards are your best option if you can’t afford, or are not interested in an electronic board. You can find models around the $30 price point, but keep in mind that it’s not always wise to go simply for the cheapest one. Sometimes, there are compromises to be made to create these cheap dartboards, so you may find blemishes and imperfections you don’t like. If you can spend around $50-70, you’ll find a good entry-level board that will last for years without issues.
Soft Tip Dartboards
Soft tip boards are another great option. They are a popular option since you can use them along with a digital scoreboard, a huge plus for beginners. They are a great starting option for kids too as they are safer than steel tip boards. Soft tip dartboards are a great option for anyone looking to get into the game of darts or trying out different variations of games that can be played with them.
- most models allow for electronic scoring.
- you can try many new game variations
- a safe option, perfect for recreational use
- you can even find a smaller board size if you are looking for a portable option
- ideal for multiplayer games, some models allow for up to 16 players to compete
- well constructed, will probably last for quite a while if you take care of them
- The soft tip darts make these boards perfect for all ages and skill levels.
- you will need a power source nearby to use the electronic scoring
- some boards make sound effects, better find one that you can turn off
- you may find yourself replacing the darts often
- the cheapest models may not work as intended and face problems with their scoring accuracy
How Much Do Soft Tip Dartboards Cost?
If you know that you’ll enjoy a soft tip dartboard, then there’s really no reason not to go for one. You can find them around $30 and up, with prices going as high as $300 depending on the brand and what you are willing to invest in your board. If you are serious about the game, it might be wise to avoid the cheapest models. You’d be better starting your research around the $100 price tag where you can a value for money option.
Cork Dart Boards
Dartboards made of cork are probably among the cheapest option you will find on the market. They are perfect for someone who is not willing to invest in a bristle board but wants to have a dartboard at their disposal. Keep in mind though that they won’t last very long so you will have to replace them often.
- fairly inexpensive
- very easy to find in local shops
- can be a great starting point for casual players
- their surface is not durable. You should expect them to be replaced sooner or later.
- the dartboard will degrade over time, and you will have difficulty removing darts without leaving holes behind.
- not suitable for players who are serious about darts.
How Much Do Cork Dart Boards Cost?
I’ve seen them as low as 5$. To be honest, this is a great option for decoration, or even set up a to-do list on them and let the darts decide which tasks to complete. I would consider them more as a prop than an actual dartboard to play on.
If you are looking for a low-cost dartboard, a paper dartboard maybe your best option. The boards have been around for quite some time and they aren’t going away anytime soon. They can be replaced rather easily so if one gets damaged, just take it down and put a new one up. Perfect for casual games and anyone not willing to invest in a higher quality option. We all have to start from somewhere and a paper dartboard is the ideal starting point.
- very easy to find in stores and online
- no need for batteries, power sources, or even an electronic scoreboard; all you’ll need is your darts
- can be set up easily with glue or tape
- fairly cheap option, great for casual players who want to have fun without investing a lot of money
- great for kids since they don’t put so much force in their throws.
- they are very fragile, you will need to replace them more often.
- the darts will start leaving holes behind after a few games.
- you can expect the dartboard surface to degrade over time and with regular use.
How Much Do Paper Boards Cost?
Paper Coil dartboards can be found fairly cheap online. Almost half the price of the Bristle dartboards. You can find models for even $15 while the average price of them is around $25-30 for a well-built option. I find them perfect for anyone willing to replace them often and not invest a lot of money. Perfect if you want a temporary set up before you move to a permanent one.
As the name suggests, magnetic dartboards have a magnetic surface which can be a great advantage if you have kids around the house. They will not be able to damage the board by throwing excessively hard darts or even climbing on it. They are a good alternative for those who can’t afford a bristle dartboard. The strong magnets make it easy to throw the darts and they will stick on their own. They can be a great option for anyone looking for a fun game that requires minimal effort.
- great for kids, no need to worry about safety issues with these boards.
- very easy to set up, you won’t need a lot of time or effort to get them going.
- fairly cheap option, perfect for someone looking for fun but not willing to invest too much money in it.
- great if you want something temporary before setting up your permanent board.
- ideal for parties and gatherings
- not suitable for serious players who are willing to invest in a high-quality dartboard.
- the darts may lose their sticking power over time.
- you may have to replace the magnetic darts often.
How Much Do Magnetic Dartboards Cost?
As I mentioned above, these dartboards are fairly cheap. They will not cost you a lot but if you’re planning on playing seriously with them, then this may not be your best option. If you are looking for a gift for your kids, you can easily pick one for around $30, a great option to get them started with darts. If you are looking for something to have fun at parties, then this may be the perfect option for you too.
Velcro dartboards are exactly what the name suggests. The dartboard has a Velcro surface on which you can stick the included darts. You will not have to worry about damaging your wall, floors, or any other surfaces while throwing these darts.
- perfect for kids who are not used to throwing darts at a bristle dartboard.
- very cheap option if you want something for your kids
- the darts will stick anywhere on the board so they can practice their aim.
- it is easy to find Velcro darts in most toy shops.
- not suitable for adults
- These boards are very fragile and will not last too long (very suitable for kids though).
How Much Do Velcro Dartboards Cost?
I mostly recommend these boards for kids. You can find well-made Velcro boards for around $15, great if you want something fun but not too expensive. Some better-built models might go up to $25, but overall fairly inexpensive. If you are looking for a toy for your kids, this might be a perfect choice. They are perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
Are There Additional Costs of Buying a Dartboard?
Darts are a must for each dartboard. You can buy them separately or as a set with some dartboards. If you are serious about the game, I suggest you ignore the darts that may come with the dartboard and simply buy darts of your choice.
They can be more expensive on their own, but they are much better quality and you will not have to replace them often. You can find darts online for around $10-25 per set, but there are also plenty of higher-priced options to explore as you dive into the world of darts.
If you’re planning on throwing darts at your wall, it’s a good idea to get some sort of protection. They complement bristle boards nicely. If you plan on investing in a bristle dartboard for more serious play, you can find reasonably priced wall protectors that surround your dartboard. Starting from around $30, but the price can easily climb to $150 for larger wall protectors.
Floor Protection – Dart Mats
It is also a good idea to invest in floor protection. You can find dart mats that cover the area from your wall to the oche for around $70. Not only they will protect your floor, but they will improve the overall experience and upgrade your setup for a minimal investment. They are perfect for beginners as they will save your floor from bounced darts, while also providing you with a throw line mark to start practicing at the right distance.
If you are planning on playing darts regularly, investing in a scoreboard is also a good idea. It’s a good idea to keep track of who is hitting what and where especially if you are starting a serious competition with friends or family. You can choose from dry-erase scoreboards for around $15, or go for digital dart scorers around the $30 price point. If you are willing to invest in an automatic scoring system, like the Scolia, you should expect a price tag of around $1000, plus accessories that might be needed, like the Bull’s Termote LED lighting system.
Other Dart Accessories
There are plenty of accessories you can buy, even though they are not needed to start with. You case choose your favorite darts’ case to store your extra flights and stems, checkout card, point holder, etc. Some people might be interested in buying a flight hole punch, hand warmer, or a broken stem remover, all of them while not so pricey, they are not needed when you first start.