You’ve probably heard that collagen supplements can improve skin elasticity and hydration as well as help with joint pain, but you’re probably wondering: How long does it take to see a difference after taking collagen?
The answer depends on the specific goals you are looking to achieve. While some people may notice improved joint pain within just a few days of taking collagen, others may not notice improvements in their skin for several months.
Here’s what to expect and when:
Does collagen help with dark circles?
You bet. Collagen helps reduce inflammation, and chronic inflammation around the eyes can contribute to dark circles. It’s also possible that dry skin under the eye is being accentuated by dark circles, so using a collagen moisturizer may help disguise your dark circles. (Plus, it’ll help smooth out those fine lines!)
To look and feel your best, be sure you’re getting plenty of sleep and sticking to a healthy diet—your body needs fuel for repair!
Does taking collagen improve cellulite?
Yes. Collagen can help smooth out those pesky cellulite bumps under your skin. Collagen is an important ingredient in wrinkle cream and other anti-aging products because it helps diminish the appearance of cellulite by firming up your skin around problem areas.
Does collagen work for wrinkles?
Though it won’t prevent wrinkles from occurring, collagen can help minimize the appearance of wrinkles. This is because it strengthens your skin and makes it appear more youthful.
How do you know if collagen is working?
Here’s what you should know:
Collagen is a protein that makes up approximately 30 percent of the body’s total protein count. It plays an integral role in building and maintaining healthy skin, hair, nails, bones and joints. As you age, your body makes less of it, which results in a loss in elasticity in your skin.
So how do you know if collagen is working?
- While it’s not going to start filling out those fine lines overnight, there are other things that can point to whether or not collagen works for you.
- You may notice improved gut health as well as faster hair growth.
- Your nails may grow faster too—they are made up of keratin, a type of protein which requires collagen to be formed properly.
- You may also experience an improvement in joint pain if you suffer from conditions like arthritis or osteoarthritis—collagen provides structure to the cartilage that cushions joints and without it, this cartilage can break down.
How long does it take to see a difference after taking collagen?
Taking a collagen supplement helps increase the amount of collagen in your body so your skin can repair itself faster. Although there’s no such thing as an “overnight fix” when it comes to skincare and health, you’ll start seeing results eventually if you’re consistent and patient! Good things take time.
Since each person’s body—and metabolism—are different, there isn’t an exact amount of time it takes for everyone to see results. While some people may notice benefits after using a high-quality collagen peptide product for 4 weeks, others might not see changes until they’ve been taking it consistently for 6 to 8 weeks or more.
The reason is simple: It all depends on how long it takes for the collagen peptides to find their way throughout the body and be used in areas of need.
How many months should I take collagen?
People often want to know how long it takes to see results from collagen. The answer is: It depends. As with so many things, there are variables at play. You may notice a difference in skin elasticity or firmness as soon as 8 weeks of collagen supplementation, but this can take longer depending on the individual and their body’s natural rate of cellular regeneration.
As you age, your levels of collagen decrease over time—which is why it may take longer for you to notice the effects if you’re older than someone else taking collagen. For best results, use your supplement consistently for up to three months
Is it safe to take a collagen supplement every day?
It is safe to take a collagen supplement every day. Many people think that collagen supplements are only for women over a certain age, or those who want to improve their skin or lose weight. However, the benefits of collagen can be experienced by anyone at any age, and it is safe for both men and women.
What happens if you take collagen everyday?
Collagen supplements are generally safe, but it’s important to note that there are some potential downsides.
- For starters, taking collagen supplements may cause annoying side effects such as upset stomach and heartburn. Experts believe this is because the body has trouble breaking down the high levels of protein in collagen supplements. This problem can easily be avoided by mixing your collagen powder with liquid.
- While all types of collagen supplementation have been linked to these mild side effects, studies have shown that gelatin supplements may cause more severe problems such as increased risk of constipation and blood clots. That’s why we recommend using only hydrolyzed collagen or marine-derived gelatin — never regular gelatin.
- It’s possible for people who are allergic to certain foods to have an allergic reaction to a particular type of collagen (usually bovine). If you suspect you might be allergic, stop taking the supplement immediately and consult with your doctor before resuming use (if at all).
- Allergies aside, there isn’t much evidence that taking too much collagen is detrimental to overall health (unless you factor in the cost). However, keep in mind that if you consume a lot of extra protein while also taking a supplemental source, your body will just convert any excess into sugar or fat.