It is well known that exposure to UV radiation results in skin damage and premature aging. For our face, this means wrinkles and aging appearance. Facial sunscreen is crucial for our protection. But how can we choose which to buy? I would like to highlight your best options to consider while searching for the best facial sunscreen for you, so let’s have a look at the alternatives on the market:
Our recommended facial sunscreens:
- 3 fluid ounce of Neutrogena Age Shield Face Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 110 helps shield skin from sun damage while also preventing the Signs of aging
- Made with Helioplex, a sunscreen technology with Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection to help combat the Signs of aging
- Dermatologist tested, our anti aging face sunscreen shields skin six layers deep from the sun's damaging rays for deep cellular Protection
- This Moisturizing sunscreen also contains skin conditioners to hydrate and replenish to help maintain skin's youthful appearance
- From the #1 dermatologist Recommended suncare Brand, this unique formula is oil and PABA Free as well as non comedogenic, so it won't clog pores
- 3-ounce tube of Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 70 from a dermatologist-recommended brand to help protect and moisturize skin
- Made with antioxidant oat, this daily sunscreen lotion protects, moisturizes and nourishes your skin to help keep it feeling soft and healthier than before you went in the sun
- Available in a TSA travel-friendly size, it provides UVA and UVB sun protection to help prevent sunburn and signs of premature skin aging
- The unique formula of this hydrating sunscreen is fast-absorbing, oil-free and non-comedogenic, so it won't clog pores, and is sweat-resistant and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- The sunscreen lotion is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective broad spectrum sunscreen
- 1.4-fluid ounce of Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Facial Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 70 to help protect skin against harmful sun damage from UV rays and prevent sunburn
- Ideal for daily use, our liquid face sunscreen spreads easily over skin, absorbing instantly for a weightless feel and provides an even, shine-free finish that works beautifully alone or under makeup and moisturizers
- Made with Helioplex, a sunscreen technology with Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB protection, this daily facial sunscreen is specially formulated to be both water-resistant and sweatproof
- When used as directed with other sun protection measures, our sheer face sunscreen can help decrease the risk of skin cancer and early skin aging caused by the sun
- From the #1 dermatologist-recommended suncare brand, the unique formula of this antioxidant sunscreen is oil- and PABA- free as well as non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores
- 2-fluid ounce of Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Face Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 provides superior protection against aging UVA and burning UVB rays to prevent sunburn
- Specially formulated water-resistant face sunscreen is made with naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide and features Dry-Touch technology to help ensure it dries with a non-greasy finish
- Our sheer sunscreen is free of fragrance, parabens, phthalates, dyes and irritating chemicals so it's gentle on skin and won't sting eyes
- The non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic and oil-free formula of this mineral sunscreen contains antioxidants to help protect against skin-damaging free radicals
- This gentle face sunscreen delivers 2x better UVA protection than the leading mineral sunscreen and layers invisibly under makeup for easy wear
- 3-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena Liquid Face& Body Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 55 for acne prone skin. Stabilized with Helioplex technology and featuring the active ingredient avobenzone, it provides superior UVA/UVB protection.
- Sunscreen lotion from #1 dermatologist-recommended sun care brand has a water-light texture that leaves a weightless, matte finish and allows skin to breathe while keeping any unwanted skin problems at bay
- Dermatologist-tested formula is lightweight, oil-free and non-comedogenic, so it won't cause breakouts or clog pores. Ideal for individuals with acne prone skin
- Liquid sunscreen lotion formula is fragrance-free and is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. It helps keep your skin protected from the sun during outdoor activities
- Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 55 is formulated to prevent sunburns without aggravating or causing breakouts
- Eco Conscious Formulation: Designed to be Oxybenzone Free, Paraben Free, Phthalate Free, PABA Free, Petrolatum Free, SLS (Sulfate) Free, Dye Free and Oil Free
- UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum Protection - Water Resistant (80 minutes)
- Hypoallergenic; Dermatologist and Pediatrician Tested; Not tested on animals
- Mineral Sunscreen: Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide provide a non-chemical sunscreen, with a powder-like matte finish thats never greasy
- Australian Botanicals: Kakadu Plum, Eucalyptus and Red Algae form a unique combination of antioxidant rich botanicals
- Fragrance Free: for use on even the most delicate skin. Children under 6 months: Ask a doctor
- ORIGINAL SPF 50 SUNSCREEN LOTION . This is the stuff we use every day. Its the formula that started it all. People say it smells like summer. We like that. Whether were spending a lazy day at the beach or just hangin out, our Original formula is definitely our fav.
- MOISTURIZING SUN PROTECTION. Dermatologist and Sonny approved, this non-comedogenic sunscreen delivers UVA/UVB protection and is packed with Vitamin E. Our oil-free, water-resistant and reef friendly SPF 50 Lotion is great for all skin types.
- HOW TO USE. 15 minutes before sun exposure, apply liberally to all areas of the skin and avoid the eye area. For best results, reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating. Sonnys Tip: Apply every 2 hours for maximum sun protection.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN. The key to practicing safe sun is to protect and moisturize your skin. Our Original Sunscreen line is Hypoallergenic and Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Gluten, Cruelty and Paraben Free to ensure a fun day in the sun.
- TRUST THE BUM. What does that mean? It means trust us, the ones who live on the beach and need products that work on the most intense days in the sun. The simple truth is, when you make products to protect the ones you love, you make em better.
- WE LOVE THE REEF To help protect delicate coral reefs, our Sensitive sunscreen contains no Oxybenzone or Octinoxate
- MINERAL SUNSCREEN, NO CHEMICAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS Protects your skin by acting like thousands of tiny mirrors that reflect UV rays away before they enter your body
- DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED BROAD SPECTRUM UVA/UVB SPF 30+ Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad spectrum protection
- PARABEN-FREE & FRAGRANCE-FREE Contains no fragrances or parabens, making it ideal for sensitive skin
- WATER RESISTANT Up to 40 minutes water resistance, so you stay protected longer
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] All CeraVe products contain the essential ceramides healthy skin needs to help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM SUNSCREEN ] Helps protect your skin against harmful UVA and UVB rays
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture
- [ WON'T CLOG PORES ] Lightweight & Oil Free ; Non-comedogenic
- [ SKIN CANCER FOUNDATION RECOMMENDED ] Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective, broad spectrum sunscreen for daily use
- Mineral-based face sunscreen with 9.0% transparent zinc oxide
- Facial sunscreen for sensitive skin types prone to acne, rosacea and hyperpigmentation, calms and protects acne-prone skin
- Face sunscreen contains niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid and lactic acid, ingredients that promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
- Broad-spectrum SPF 46 physical sunscreen for the face. Contains antioxidants.
- Dermatologist-recommended mineral facial sunscreen is fragrance-free, paraben-free, sensitivity-free, oil-free and noncomedogenic
Last update on 2020-04-07 at 13:18 / Affiliate Links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here are some tips about DO and DON’Ts
FIRST STEP: Myths that we must get over
- One sunscreen is enough – I will use my body sunscreen as facial
- No, our facial epidermis differs from the one of our body. It is thinner and more fragile. Facial sunscreens are specially designed for the increased needs of our face skin and they are more moisture. However, if you don’t want to carry two bottles with you there are specific combo products.
- I don’t need facial sunscreen – I am a brunette, I have dark skin, etc.
- No, we ALL need protection from the sun
- I use makeup with SPF so I don’t need extra facial sunscreen
- Makeup with SPF is good for the city and everyday use (go to work, shopping, etc) but not for going to the sea neither for sunbathing
- If I use a high SPF I will not get a tan
- No, SPF is about the level of protection not the level of tan
SECOND STEP: choosing SPF
A bit of theory: Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is a measure that shows us the level of protection from UVB. This number shows us how long we can stay under the sun before getting redden. For example, an SPF 15 means that the sun needs 15 times more time to burn us than if we hadn’t used it. However, this is theoretical because the sun can cause also no visible damage (i.e. without get burn).
The crucial factor for choosing SPF is our phototype. It declares the reaction of our skin to sun exposure. It is determined by the color of our skin and hair:
Analytically (regarding Fitzpatrick scale) :
PHOTOTYPE I: extremely white skin (porcelain), blond or red hair and freckles. If you belong here then you have a huge problem with sunbathing – skin burns intensely. Choose SPF 50+
PHOTOTYPE II: white skin, blond hair, maybe a few freckles. Skin gets burn – tans poorly. Choose SPF 50+
PHOTOTYPE III: medium skin color (not very white neither dark), brown or tawny hair. Your skin gets slightly red at first but then it gets a nice bronze tan. Sunscreen with at least SPF 30+
PHOTOTYPE IV: light brown skin tone, dark hair, and eyes (we can name it as “Mediterranean type”). Your skin tans easily and gets burnt rarely. Sunscreen with at least SPF 25+
PHOTOTYPE V & VI: very dark or black skin. You don’t have to worry about sunburn – but you still must use sunscreen. At least SPF 15+
Now that we have chosen the SPF let’s consider the other factors
THIRD STEP: Choosing the right brand
- READ THE LABEL: yes, I know, it takes time and can be boring BUT we need to be conscientious consumers. Otherwise, we may buy something else than the one we need.
- Broad-spectrum: look for a product that protects you from both UVA & UVB
- Water-resistant: choose this for swimming or intense outdoor exercise.
- Skin condition: nowadays there is an enormous variety of facial sunscreens. Choose the one that corresponds better to you (sensitive skin, dry, oily, mature, acne-prone, etc).
- Ingredients: avoid silicones, parabens, oxybenzone which are harmful not only to us but also to the environment (they seep into the sea while we swim).
- ***If you are traveling at different continents or buy from online global sites keep in mind that there are ingredients (such as Tinosorb H and M) that are banned in the US but very common at European sunscreens.
- Avoid spray bottles: even the “safe” ingredients can be harmful through oral or nasal import. Furthermore, there is the danger of contact with your eyes.
- Tinted sunscreens: choose this if you intend to use also makeup (you can, of course, use different products but there is a probability that their characteristics don’t mix well)
Note. At pathological cases, you should first consult your doctor – for example, if you take medication, if you have allergies affiliate with the sun, skin disorders, pregnancy, hereditary predisposition to melanoma, etc.
Enjoy the sun and be safe