We are supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
With the onset of the summer season upon us, homeowners all across the country are out in full force, watering their lawns and gardens on a seemingly daily basis. While this is a great way to make sure your yard stays green and healthy, it also can put a serious dent in your wallet. This is especially true if you have a large yard or a lot of trees to water. While these devices do tend to be a little bit on the expensive side, we feel the smart features that they offer make them worthwhile in the long run.
A wifi sprinkler controller is a smart device that helps you better manage your sprinkler system by communicating over your home Internet connection and with other smart home devices you have around. This allows you to have a smart sprinkler system, which lets you do things like turn on your smart sprinklers remotely or set up custom schedules to water your lawn. You can even connect your automatic sprinkler system to your home automation system, such as Amazon Echo, so you can control your sprinklers with your voice.
Let’s have a look at our list that will help you pick the best Wifi sprinkler controller for your needs:
Best Wifi Sprinkler Controllers
Our recommended wifi sprinkler controllers:
Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller, 2nd Generation
- 5-STAR RATINGS. Amazon’s most- and highest-rated Wi-Fi sprinkler controller.
- Avoid watering in the rain. Exclusive weather intelligence automatically skips unnecessary watering with features like rain skip, wind skip, freeze skip, and more.
- Control from anywhere with the easy-to-use app. Run sprinklers, view upcoming schedules, and observe your estimated outdoor water usage.
- Experience fast DIY installation. Rachio Smart sprinkler controllers replace 99% of existing sprinkler controllers. Install in 30 minutes or less with no special tools needed. Our in-app installation tutorial helps you get online and watering in no time!
- Deliver all the water your plants need; no more, No less. Rachio creates tailored Smart schedules based on the specific needs of your lawn, including plant type, soil type, sun exposure, and more.
- Power source type: Corded Electric. No Hub Required for Voice Control
The Generation 2 controller from Rachio is a trusty and high-rated option that can be controlled via the Rachio app so as to easily care for your lawn remotely. The app makes this is an ideal way to monitor and setup up your smartphone, tablet, or laptop and set your own schedules for your garden. Moreover, you can input details regarding the types of plants and sun exposure so that the app can automatically water your plants which is quite handy especially for beginners.
It is very easy to install and no tools are needed, allowing you to keep your garden healthy with minimal effort, and reduce water usage meanwhile. The device can use weather services to automatically adjust your schedule based on the weather reports so that it won’t overwater your garden. This is a great option that you can find online for a relatively low price for its advanced features, which makes this a great value-for-money option too. If you are looking for a wifi sprinkler controller, you can’t go wrong with this product.
RainMachine Touch HD-12, Cloud Independent Smart Wi-Fi Irrigation Controller
- SMART SCHEDULE & SAVE WATER – Save water with real-time weather adjustments. (EPA WaterSense Certified, check for rebates).
- CLOUD INDEPENDENT – All personal data stored locally. RainMachine continues to work even when WiFi is down. Forecast spatial resolution: upto 1.5 km
- FREE WEATHER DATA – Direct access to NOAA, METNO or Wunderground, OpenWeatherMap, NetAtmo. Use National or Personal Weather Stations for pinpoint accuracy.
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE – Color Touch Screen, iPhone, and Android, PC browser access with dashboard stats. Works from Home, Work or Vacation.
- UPDATED MODEL (2019) – Improved WIFI. hundreds of Schedule and UI improvements. Integrate with Alexa, Google Home, Nest, WINK, SmartThings via IFTTT.
This smart wifi irrigation controller is a great option for anyone that needs to setup up to 12 zones in their garden. It integrates with smart home platforms via Alexa, Google Home, Nest, WINK, and SmartThings via IFTTT so you can control the device. It features a color touch screen too which is quite handy, while you can also use your iOS, Android device, or PC to have access to stats. It uses National or personal weather stations to have access to weather updates and since the data is stored locally you can continue to use the device even without Wifi.
It will make real-time adjustments to your water schedule based on weather forecasts so you can save water and prevent overwatering your plants. It can control up to 12 zones, while the pricier model from RainMachine can control up to 16 zones. Overall a great device, which might be a little pricier compared to its competitors, yet you get a great LCD screen that justifies the price. If you like this modern design it definitely worths some consideration as it is a worthy upgrade for your irrigation systems.
Rain Bird ESP4ME3 Indoor Outdoor 120V Irrigation Controller
- Comes with a power cord for quick plug-in indoor or outdoor installations. Cord can be removed to hardwire the internal transformer to a junction box.
- Comes with 4 zones and expandable to 22 zones with optional modules.
- Non-volatile memory saves controller settings indefinitely, even after long power outages
- WiFi Connectivity by simply plugging in the optional Rain Bird LNK WiFi Module (sold separately), users can access, operate and monitor their irrigation system from anywhere. Internet-based weather information is used to make daily adjustments to the irrigation schedule, saving up to 30% in water.
- Flow Monitoring Compatible with multiple sizes and makes of optional wired flow sensors (sold separately) for flow monitoring and notifications to save water and protect against property damage.
The model from Rain Bird is among the cheapest options on our list, yet it is a great irrigation controller that you won’t break the bank. It features a daily smart watering schedule that will automatically adjust based on local weather, humidity, and temperature. It is compatible with Alexa, while you can also use the application on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone and tablet to adjust scheduling options.
It is super easy to set up schedules and timers, while the application will send you notifications to keep you informed when you are away from home. This is a great budget-friendly option that will allow you to have access to programs and hose timers from anywhere in the world, so if you are on a limited budget this is a great option to consider.
Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart 6-Zone Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller
- WELCOME TO B-HYVE: Looking to get a smart sprinkler controller? If this is out of stock, or if you want the best, check out the CES Innovation Award-winning B-hyve XR smart controller
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: The B-hyve app is fully functional for android, iOS or web devices and gives you control wherever you need it program your timer on the app, at the timer, or let the weather-based software create a program for you
- SMART WATERING: WeatherSense technology provides watering based on site conditions such as slope, soil type, sun/shade, historical et and live weather feeds, it automatically adjusts your controller to deliver the right amount of water to your plants
- EASY TO INSTALL AND USE: Utilize the swing panel for easy access to the angled wiring terminals, which makes wiring simple and convenient and the plug-and-go line cord that can also be cut for hardwired applications
- CERTIFIED TO SAVE WATER AND MONEY: B-hyve is EPA WaterSense approved and certified, ensuring it will save you water and energy; this can also make your B-hyve timer eligible for local rebates, which can save up to 100% of the cost on your timer
- DURABILITY AND SECURITY: The Orbit B-hyve Wi-Fi sprinkler timer comes in a weather-resistant case, allowing you to mount your timer indoors or outdoors without risk of weather damage and a locking cabinet that keeps your timer safe from harm
- WATER SAVINGS – Integrate your B-hyve timer with use of Catch Cups (Orbit 26251) to save up to 50% more water than with traditional controllers; Optimize the way you water, so you can keep everything lush and green without breaking the bank
The controller from Orbit is also a great option, especially if you are on a limited budget thanks to its attractive price. The device can work with Amazon Alexa so you can set up voice commands and control the watering times of your garden via your voice.
The sprinkler controller will allow you to conserve water while also keep your garden healthy and green without worries. It features a water-resistant case so you can easily mount it outdoors if needed without risking damaging it from extreme weather conditions. It can automatically make adjustments so that it won’t overwater your plants, based on parameters like slope, soil type, sun exposure, and real-time weather data.
Apart from the automatic features and scheduling, you can also manually set up watering timers via the B-hyve app if you prefer. Works great on Android, iOS, and web devices so you can easily control the watering via the application while away. Overall a great device for its price that you should definitely check while researching for your next purchase.
What to consider when looking for the Best Wifi Sprinkler Controller?
These wifi sprinkler controllers allow you to control outdoor watering from anywhere in the world. This means that you can water your lawn and gardens from the comfort of your home, and you don’t even have to be there to turn on the sprinklers. Or, if you are working in your office or in a different country, you can turn your watering system on before you leave, and you can rest assured that the smart sprinkler systems will turn on at the right time, and they will be off when you return.
Forget about pulling out your phone and checking your local weather app to see if you need to turn your sprinklers on. While manual sprinklers are easy to set up, they require daily maintenance. Many homeowners have found that a wifi sprinkler controller is a more efficient and convenient option that can save time and money thanks to smart scheduling.
The new generation of smart sprinkler controllers streamlines watering to the bare essentials for anyone who wants to keep their lawn green and their water bills low. These systems replace your old sprinkler’s control box with a sleek touch screen interface that lets you adjust the frequency of watering and create zones via your smartphone or computer. They also hook up to your smart home systems and can dial into the internet for weather forecasts to automatically adjust watering schedules based on the current weather and predicted precipitation.
The average smart sprinkler solution can be broken down into three components: the network interface, the controller board, and a water valve. The network interface connects to your home’s wifi connection, which allows you to control your sprinkler system remotely. The controller board receives instructions from the network interface, then tells your water valve to open or close. The water valve opens or closes to turn the water supply on and off to your sprinkler system. Connecting your various sprinkler heads to wifi improves the way you can control each zone.
You can create schedules based on the time of day, the temperature, the number of days between rainfalls, and so much more. Imagine being able to have your smart sprinklers turn on automatically as soon as it starts to rain. Or being able to set them to water more in the early morning, less in the afternoon, and no water at all during the hottest hours of the day.
An affordable sprinkler controller should provide you with an easy installation process. The best one I have found is the Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller. This wifi sprinkler controller is known for its ease of installation and should not take more than a couple of hours. You do not have to be a professional or even have any experience to install this. The instructions are clear and it is easy to follow. Once you have it installed you will be able to control it from your phone, computer, or a touch screen.
Some sprinklers let you use them along with other smart devices like Alexa, Echo, or web applications like IFTTT. It is advisable to research until you settle on a wifi controller that features the devices you want to work with. There are plenty of controllers that need to be manually set so keep that in mind in case you need help setting up for the first time, on the other hand, there are a lot of devices offering to do your watering automatically so there are devices that can cover even then needs of a novice.
The best of the controllers features real-time weather integration in order to track data and be able to use water efficiently. Look for a controller that lets you handle multiple zones are such a feature is vital if you decide to water a large property or want to expand the system in the future.
There are models that are able to work with your garden hoses but most of the controllers need to be connected to their own water supply. In either case, you may need assistance from a professional in order to implement the system and design your watering zones effectively. If you decide to go for outdoor installation you should look for a controller that is waterproof as they are not all of them able to withstand weather conditions. An industrial design will allow the controller to withstand harsh weather conditions.
It is advisable to pick a model that features notifications so that you would get a notice of jobs completed. Most of the time this can be implemented using IFTTT but still have a look at the specifications of each device before purchasing. Wifi Controllers need to be connected to the internet to get weather data so you have to make sure that there are strong enough wifi connections in the area you plan to put the controller.