We are supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no extra cost for you. Learn more. Last update on 31st January 2023 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A wifi sprinkler controller is a smart device that helps you better manage your sprinkler system by communicating over your home Internet connection and with other smart home devices you have around. This allows you to have a smart sprinkler system, which lets you do things like turn on your smart sprinklers remotely or set up custom schedules to water your lawn. You can even connect your automatic sprinkler system to your home automation system, such as Amazon Echo, so you can control your sprinklers with your voice.
Let’s have a look at our list that will help you pick the best Wifi sprinkler controller for your needs:
Best Wifi Sprinkler Controllers
Our recommended wifi sprinkler controllers:
Rain Bird ESP4ME3 Indoor Outdoor 120V Irrigation Controller
- Comes with a power cord for quick plug-in indoor or outdoor installations. Cord can be removed to hardwire the internal transformer to a junction box.
- Comes with 4 zones and expandable to 22 zones with optional modules.
- Non-volatile memory saves controller settings indefinitely, even after long power outages
- WiFi Connectivity by simply plugging in the optional Rain Bird LNK WiFi Module (sold separately), users can access, operate and monitor their irrigation system from anywhere. Internet-based weather information is used to make daily adjustments to the irrigation schedule, saving up to 30% in water.
- Flow Monitoring Compatible with multiple sizes and makes of optional wired flow sensors (sold separately) for flow monitoring and notifications to save water and protect against property damage.
The model from Rain Bird is among the cheapest options on our list, yet it is a great irrigation controller that you won’t break the bank. It features a daily smart watering schedule that will automatically adjust based on local weather, humidity, and temperature. It is compatible with Alexa, while you can also use the application on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone and tablet to adjust scheduling options.
It is super easy to set up schedules and timers, while the application will send you notifications to keep you informed when you are away from home.
Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart 6-Zone Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller
- WELCOME TO B-HYVE: Looking to get a smart sprinkler controller? If this is out of stock, or if you want the best, check out the CES Innovation Award-winning B-hyve XR smart controller
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: The B-hyve app is fully functional for android, iOS or web devices and gives you control wherever you need it program your timer on the app, at the timer, or let the weather-based software create a program for you
- SMART WATERING: WeatherSense technology provides watering based on site conditions such as slope, soil type, sun/shade, historical et and live weather feeds, it automatically adjusts your controller to deliver the right amount of water to your plants
- EASY TO INSTALL AND USE: Utilize the swing panel for easy access to the angled wiring terminals, which makes wiring simple and convenient and the plug-and-go line cord that can also be cut for hardwired applications
- CERTIFIED TO SAVE WATER AND MONEY: B-hyve is EPA WaterSense approved and certified, ensuring it will save you water and energy; this can also make your B-hyve timer eligible for local rebates, which can save up to 100% of the cost on your timer
- DURABILITY AND SECURITY: The Orbit B-hyve Wi-Fi sprinkler timer comes in a weather-resistant case, allowing you to mount your timer indoors or outdoors without risk of weather damage and a locking cabinet that keeps your timer safe from harm
- WATER SAVINGS – Integrate your B-hyve timer with use of Catch Cups (Orbit 26251) to save up to 50% more water than with traditional controllers; Optimize the way you water, so you can keep everything lush and green without breaking the bank
The controller from Orbit is also a great option, especially if you are on a limited budget thanks to its attractive price.
The sprinkler controller will allow you to conserve water while also keeping your garden healthy and green without worries. It features a water-resistant case so you can easily mount it outdoors if needed without risking damaging it from extreme weather conditions. It can automatically make adjustments so that it won’t overwater your plants, based on parameters like slope, soil type, sun exposure, and real-time weather data.
Apart from the automatic features and scheduling, you can also manually set up watering timers via the B-hyve app if you prefer. Works great on Android, iOS, and web devices so you can easily control the watering via the application while away. Overall a great device for its price that you should definitely check while researching for your next purchase.
What to consider when looking for the Best Wifi Sprinkler Controller?
These wifi sprinkler controllers allow you to control outdoor watering from anywhere in the world.
Forget about pulling out your phone and checking your local weather app to see if you need to turn your sprinklers on. While manual sprinklers are easy to set up, they require daily maintenance. Many homeowners have found that a wifi sprinkler controller is a more efficient and convenient option that can save time and money thanks to smart scheduling.
The new generation of smart sprinkler controllers streamlines watering to the bare essentials for anyone who wants to keep their lawn green and their water bills low. These systems replace your old sprinkler’s control box with a sleek touch screen interface that lets you adjust the frequency of watering and create zones via your smartphone or computer. They also hook up to your smart home systems and can dial into the internet for weather forecasts to automatically adjust watering schedules based on the current weather and predicted precipitation.
The average smart sprinkler solution can be broken down into three components: the network interface, the controller board, and a water valve. The network interface connects to your home’s WIFI connection, which allows you to control your sprinkler system remotely. The controller board receives instructions from the network interface, then tells your water valve to open or close. Connecting your various sprinkler heads to WIFI improves the way you can control each zone.
You can create schedules based on the time of day, the temperature, the number of days between rainfalls, and so much more. Imagine being able to have your smart sprinklers turn on automatically as soon as it starts to rain. Or being able to set them to water more in the early morning, less in the afternoon, and no water at all during the hottest hours of the day.
An affordable sprinkler controller should provide you with an easy installation process. The best one I have found is the Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller. This wifi sprinkler controller is known for its ease of installation and should not take more than a couple of hours. You do not have to be a professional or even have any experience to install this.
Some sprinklers let you use them along with other smart devices like Alexa, Echo, or web applications like IFTTT. There are plenty of controllers that need to be manually set so keep that in mind in case you need help setting up for the first time, on the other hand, there are a lot of devices offering to do your watering automatically so there are devices that can cover even then needs of a novice.
The best of the controllers features real-time weather integration in order to track data and be able to use water efficiently.
There are models that are able to work with your garden hoses but most of the controllers need to be connected to their own water supply. In either case, you may need assistance from a professional in order to implement the system and design your watering zones effectively. If you decide to go for outdoor installation you should look for a controller that is waterproof as they are not all of them able to withstand weather conditions. An industrial design will allow the controller to withstand harsh weather conditions.
It is advisable to pick a model that features notifications so that you would get a notice of jobs completed. Most of the time this can be implemented using IFTTT but still have a look at the specifications of each device before purchasing.